- To start off, wealthy parents send their children to more expensive schools and that provides resources to build better facilities and so, a better education.
- Well educated women and men with degrees get better jobs and they get married. This way, they get better money so they send their kids to better schools and have a better education, as mentioned in the previous point.
- People with a good job probably had a great priority when they were young: education. So parents make it clear to their children that this must also be a priority to them.
- If parents have a good job and good money, if their child is not doing so great in a subject, they can hire a tutor or a teacher to help them understand better. If a person with less money had this problem, they probably would not hire a tutor because they do not have the money to do that. People with money have privilege because they have better chances of understanding terms than people with less money.
- If parents are wealthy and have good jobs, they take a longer time to make big decisions and apparently, this reduces the chances of a divorce.
- Students with wealthy parents probably go to kinder garden and have an advantage on other kids because with kinder garden they already have 1 or 2 more years of education than others and results as a privilege.
- Lastly, legacy*. In many schools around the world, if your parents went to the same school that you are planning to go to, there are bigger possibilities that you are accepted in a school, just because your parents are alumni.
All of these points are examples of advantages that some people benefit from. These privileges are usually based on your parents´s wealth and income which are the two main terms in social class.
Meritocracy= work and payment that is judged by talent and not by social class.
Nepotism= means that if your parents are rich then, you will probably be rich as well in the future. It is a very close term for the opposite of meritocracy.
Legacy= Relates directly to social class and shows that if you have relatives that went to a school or other establishment before you, you have a higher priority in this establishment.