- Multinational corporations exploit the worst aspects of every nation's industry, economy and government. Fore example in Mexico and Nigeria, oil spills are constantly occurring whereas they could import fish or another natural resource, they export oil which impacts the environment much more.
- We lose parts of our culture because we constantly find "better" ways to live and do things so we adapt to those and leave our culture behind.
- Poor working conditions and salary are influenced with globalization. When big companies, like Nike or Adidas, are looking to build new factories, they go to countries like China or Vietnam where the minimum wage is very low and the company doesn't have to offer health insurance, which would be a waste of money for the company. The people who work in the factories, have to deal with the conditions that are offered, which overall means globalization is influencing these
badterrible working conditions.
- The trading of objects means a lot of fossil fuels being wasted to transport these objects. For example, if Apple wants to build another iStore in Colombia, they are constantly having to export iPads, iPhones, iMacs, etc. to Colombia which has a great impact on the environment.
Here are some positive aspects about globalization:
- Globalization has encouraged the reduction and sometimes removal of barriers between contries facilitating more free trade. Globalization could someday lead to the removal of the barrier between Mexico and US, which would make it easier for companies to import and export products between these two countries which would have a really good impact for companies so they can grow their companies even more.
- Reduction of transportation costs, of capital controls, subsidies of global corporations and universal recognition of intellectual property laws.
- With globalization, in countries there are more options of goods and products. For example, if in Colombia there was only one brand of technological products 20 years ago, because of globalization there are now hundreds of stores where someone can buy a technological device.
- Countries are less likely to go to war if they have friendly trade. For example, if Ecuador had constant trade with Colombia, they would not want to go into war because a big part of their economies depend on each other so they are much less likely to go to war.
- New ideas travel to countries that help economies, companies and governments improve with these new ideas. For example, if the United States discovers a way to make crops grow faster and the idea arrives to Colombia, coffee companies will increase the quantity of coffee beans grown and improve the companies.
I think it is good to have a globalized world because people are more connected and aware of what happens around the world. After all we live in the same world and we must learn how to solve global issues together without having any conflicts in between these countries.